Roller shutters are perfect for adding a decorative style to your home while offering your family efficient physical protection from the elements. These days, they have become more popular because of the value they add to estate properties. What’s more, they offer multiple uses. As we all know, summers in Australia can be scorching hot. Well, when you get the roller shutter Perth residents recommend, you can have enough protection from heat and glare. Similarly, when the rainy days get cold, your window shutters can provide adequate insulation.
The benefits of roller shutters are endless. However, you need to keep it in tip-top shape. Regular maintenance is necessary to ensure that every component is in working order. As such, we have put together this article to give you some useful tips on keeping your window shutters clean and in perfect condition.
How to Clean Roller Shutters Properly
You need to keep your roller shutters at its optimum efficiency. The best way to do this is to give it a proper clean at least twice a year.
Materials You’ll Need:
- Soft Cloth
- Mild Detergent
- Clean, Warm Water
- Soft Bristled Brush
Steps in Cleaning Your Window Shutters
- Mix the mild detergent with the fresh, warm water.
- Now, take your soft cloth and immerse it in the warm, soapy water.
- Make sure you wring the cloth to remove excess liquid.
- Gently wipe down the shutters. Doing so will remove abrasive grime and pollutants that may have built up on the guides and between the slats.
- Close the shutters, then spray the mild detergent on them.
- Take your soft-bristled brush, then gently wipe the slats in an up and down motion. Make sure you use this motion to prevent the individual slats from misaligning.
- Now rinse the slats with clean water.
- Take a soft cloth, then dry the shutters. Remember to do this in an up and down motion to prevent the slats from misaligning.
- Now, you need to raise the curtain until it is fully open to clean between the guides.
- Take your soft-bristled brush, then sweep any particles or dirt from the inside of the guide. Remember to be careful to avoid dislodging the wool pike.
Optional: You can use gentle running water from a hose to clean the guide. Keep the water pressure low.
- Let the guides air dry completely before closing the curtain.
Inspect Your Roller Shutters After Bad Weather Conditions
The strong wind during storms can blow objects into your home’s walls, often causing exterior damage. It is unlikely for an object collision to damage your shutters. However, there is a possibility that a branch or anything similar can get into the path of your window shutters.
Avoid closing them when something blocks their path. Otherwise, you might end up dealing with severe damages. The up and down limits may start moving out of place as the shutter gathers in on itself. The slats may begin to bend or dent. Worse, they may break completely. So, after a strong storm, you must ensure that nothing blocks your shutter’s path. Otherwise, you might end up dealing with expensive repairs.
How to Maintain Wooden Shutters
Also known as a plantation shutter, a wooden shutter is resistant to normal wear and tear. When cleaning it, you must have a dusting cloth, a toothbrush, wood polish and a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment. Here are the steps for cleaning plantation shutters:
- Do not forget to clean your wooden shutters at least once a week. You can perform a quick clean, using a vacuum. By removing the dust regularly, you can prevent debris from building up. Remember to analyse your surroundings to know how often you should clean your plantation shutters.
- You can take the toothbrush to clean the dust build-up in the crevices. You can also try applying a small amount of polish on the brush to achieve better results. Remember to avoid using soap and water because they may damage the wooden slats.
- In general, using a dusting cloth is efficient in cleaning wooden shutters. You will be amazed at the results if you try to spray wood polish on the fabric. Perform this step every month if you want the shutters to look shiny and clean.
How to Maintain Painted and Vinyl Shutters
Homeowners primarily install painted shutters for decorative purposes. On the other hand, some designs can offer adequate protection. You can easily clean them with mild grease-cutting soap and water. However, you must not forget to vacuum them regularly. When you are removing built-up dirt, you need to apply a solution of water and detergent. Remember to perform this on a monthly or weekly basis. Doing so will make your shutters shine throughout the year.
Now, if you want more information on what type of roller shutters is ideal for your home, do not hesitate to contact Alfresco Creations. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will be delighted to help you choose the right product that fits your lifestyle and needs.